About renting

The relationship between tenant and landlord is regulated by the Danish Rent Act and by the conditions agreed upon in your tenancy agreement. Below you can read more about renting.

  • How rent is paid

    In the period you are living in the rental unit, you will have to pay rent each month or each quarter, according to what is agreed upon in your tenancy agreement.

    The rent must be paid on the first of each month. However, should the first of the month fall on a Saturday or a holiday, the rent is due on the first working day thereafter.

    Remember, it is your responsibility to pay the rent, even if you do not receive a notice of rent due.

    Payment service

    DEAS recommends that you sign up for PBS payment so you are certain that the rent will be paid on time, as well as saving us some manual processing time.

    If you are not signed up for the scheme, you will receive a payment slip with the same specifications. It is important that you use the payment slip, so we can always identify your payment.

  • In case of damage

    For example, damage to the pipes and installations can occur outside of regular working hours. They can occur when you least expect it - and then it's a good idea to be well prepared.

    Nationwide damage service provider

    We work with a nationwide damage service provider that all tenants can contact free of charge in urgent circumstances and emergencies - outside our normal opening hours.

    The call centre ensures that emergency situations are handled effectively, and the damage service provider holds contact details for the individual property and ensures that action is taken in accordance with the agreed guidelines.

    An emergency situation is defined as:

    • Damage that cannot wait for repair or limitation
    • Damage which is a risk to the tenant/tenants' safety
    • Damage which will increase in scope and cost, if it is not rectified immediately.

    Tenant's maintenance obligation

    If you as a tenant have a maintenance obligation, you must handle and pay for the repair.  If damage has occurred in your rental unit in which you are at fault due to improper use or failure to comply with the tenancy agreement, you must pay for the repair. This applies regardless of the maintenance arrangements you have agreed.

    Examples of such damages include faucets, bathtubs and toilets that have been destroyed by lime and rust deposits, or a window you have broken.

  • Remember your home insurance 

    In case of an accident, it's important to have an insurance to help you. This also applies when you are a tenant. You are responsible for insuring your belongings, and as a tenant you are well covered if you have a contents insurance. It covers a wide range of things.

    First of all, it covers all the movables you might take with you when you move from one place to another. That means furniture, clothes, TV, bicycle and garden tools. It also covers things you have borrowed or rented from others.

    In addition, contents insurance also covers in the event of water damage, theft or vandalism. And in the event of a fire in the property, you will usually be covered by a re-housing guarantee.

  • Can others take over your rental unit?

    Your family or relatives can in special cases take over your rental unit if you vacate permanently due to situations such as divorce, separation, termination of household community or moving to a nursing home.

    If you and your partner are not married, you are required to have previously occupied a common household for a minimum of two years. A common household means that you have jointly paid rent, living expenses, etc. As property manager we can require proof of this on the landlord’s behalf.

    It is important that you remember to send an application to us before you transfer the lease, as we must provide permission.

    Separation and divorce

    Authorisation or judgment shall be taken into consideration to decide which of you should have the right to the rental unit after separation or divorce. The one who stays continues the lease without changes and takes over all obligations.

    Remember that we always need to be notified of changes as well as documentation hereof as soon as possible.

  • Modernisation of your rental unit

    Properties and the individual rental units will be modernised from time to time. Modernisation can be described as work that adds something new to the property, or which replaces something old with something new and better.

    If you would like your rental unit to be modernised, e.g. a new kitchen or a new bathroom, this may be possible against an increase in the rent.

    Before you initiate a modernisation project, there are a few things you should be aware of:

    • You are not allowed to initiate or carry out modernisation in the rental unit without our permission.
    • You must contact the property's construction project manager, whose tasks include judging whether improvements can be carried out on the property, both inside and outside.
    • The project manager will inspect the rental unit and draw up a construction budget.
    • The construction budget serves as the basis for how much your monthly rent will increase.
    • The project manager can tell you what needs to be done, and how long the construction work will take. It is up to the project manager to assess whether the modernisation can be implemented or not.
  • Construction work on the property

    We often inform tenants about the coming year's major improvement and maintenance work using notices located in the property stairwells. If you live in a property with a tenant representation, the representation will be informed of the work which is intended to be carried out during the year.

    The least possible inconvenience to the tenants

    We do everything we can to ensure that you will be affected by the work as little as possible, but you may experience noise and dust. In other cases, you may find that there will be scaffolding up, or that you might have to use the back stairs instead of the main stairs for a time.

    If improvement and maintenance workers are expected to interfere with your daily life, you will be given approximately six weeks notice.

    Some work requires us to completely change some conditions on site – for example, you may not be able to use the laundry room or other facilities for a period of time. In this case you will be notified approximately three months in advance.

  • Tasks of the property's caretaker

    The property's caretaker is typically the person at the property with whom you usually have contact. The caretaker may have fixed office hours in which you can reach him or her by telephone. If you are calling outside of office hours, you can leave a message on the answering machine, after which he or she will contact you as soon as possible.

    The caretaker may also be associated with our customer service centre which you can contact on weekdays from 7 AM to 7 PM or via fs@deas.dk.

    DEAS 24syv

    You can also take advantage of our mobile app DEAS 24syv when you need to get in contact with us.

    With the app, you can let us know about a problem to be solved or ask us a question - also outside opening hours. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.

    Read more about DEAS 24syv and download

    Typical tasks

    The property's caretaker is responsible for tasks such as the upkeep of stairwells, ceilings and basements, but also the care of the garden and outdoor areas, as well as the supervision of renovation. The caretaker may or may not do the actual work, but he or she supervises those who do it.

    He or she is also responsible for inspecting the actual building components ranging from roof, downpipes, wells, windows and staircases to elevators, heating systems, ventilation systems and other technical installations. Upon agreement with us, the building superintendent hires the craftspeople to perform repairs and maintenance.

    The property's caretaker also monitors the property's energy consumption and reports it to us.

    Finally, he or she performs the inspection upon moving, shows the vacant rental units and is responsible for the renovation of rental units that have been vacated.

  • Access to your rental unit

    Occasionally we need to obtain access to a rental unit. The causes can be many and of various kinds, just as the time period may vary. Sometimes we need to get into a rental unit immediately, while in other cases we can wait.

    We have established strict rules for rental unit access in order not to disturb tenants by appearing unannounced.

    If there is immediate danger of damage to the property or your and others' rental units, for example, by fire or a burst water pipe, we have the right to receive or gain access to your rental unit, even though you are not present. 


    We are required to provide notice of our arrival. This means that we must notify you of when we are arriving before we are permitted to enter your rental unit.

    We provide six weeks notice to initiate work in the rental unit if the performance of the work is not of significant inconvenience for you. This type of work may include the replacement of windows, pipes, the roof, and when we require access to your rental unit in connection with the modernisation of your upstairs or downstairs neighbour’s rental unit.

    If the work is of larger scope, you are entitled to receive longer notice. In such cases, the time limit is three months. Examples of such tasks inclde replacing the kitchen and bath, as well as the installation of central heating.

  • Rent Board

    If you disagree on your rental notice, water and heat accounts, maintenance or house rules, you can refer the matter to the rent board. All municipalities have a rent board, and you can find addresses, telephone numbers, etc. on your municipality's website.

    Your case will typically be handled in writing. The rent board may, however, decide that you, the landlord, and representatives from the rent board must meet. This can be either to look at your rental unit or to mediate in the matter.

    A decision from a rent board has legal effect. This means that you and the landlord must follow the decision.

    If you live in the city of Copenhagen, both tenant and landlord have the opportunity to appeal against the decision of the Appeals Board within 14 days after the decision is received.


Find and sign our forms digitally.

Go to E-service

The easy way to send tasks or questions - around the clock.

Download app

10 tips

Download the 10 tips for
finding student housing.

Download pdf